Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Standing On the Promises

This morning as I was driving to drop the girls, well, Sierra, off at school there was the most vibrant rainbow arching across the sky. We followed it and it lasted the entire 25 minute drive to school and at one point it even became double arches.


(You can see the faint double bow over the brighter one. Silly cell camera didn't do it justice.)

Rainbows always remind me of God's promises, stemming from the story of Noah in the Bible, and my dad reading it to us. So as I was driving and talking about these amazing rainbows and marveling with my children it really got me thinking... What do I believe about God's promises? What do I know with all of my heart that He promises me?

I will admit that I am often times grouchy about irritating things that happen in daily life, inconvenient things. I get sad or angry about things and try to accuse God of not loving me like He should... not keeping His end of the deal... yeah... some of my not so fine moments...

So as I looked at these rainbows I was reminded anew that God never promised me an easy ride... He never promised perfect health, He never promised that my children would always behave like angels. He never did. What He did promise me that he would always walk with me, He would never leave me. He will never ever make me go through something that He won't give me the strength and ability to handle. And you know what? That goes for the small things, like staying up with Ms. Asthma all night long, or the bigger things like losing something precious and dear to your heart. I guess it just struck me that with the attitude of entitlement that I have sometimes... okay, a lot of the time, I lose sight of, or overlook the things I am promised.

Thank you Jesus for your promises, I am grateful to you. Thank you for never leaving my side even when I lose sight of You and Your promises.

1 comment:

  1. Oh wasn't it SO beautiful!!!!!!! I too, thought of those very things this morning and what a symbol of hope a rainbow is. I often see a rainbow and forget it's meaning in the moment. This morning I was thanking God for everything he has done in my life, and for all the things He has blessed me with, especially when I didn't deserve it!

    ReplyDelete