Monday, November 7, 2011

Of Love and Sharpies

Last night I had told the girls to go to their room, tidy up and get their jammies on. A little while later I took some laundry in to put away and there was Mia, laying on the floor, no jammies on, doodling away with a Sharpie. My immediate reaction was irritation and frustration. Mia! What are you DOING?! Where are your pajamas and what are you doing with that SHARPIE?! Give it to me and get your pajamas on NOW. And I huffed out. Why can't my kids just listen to me? It's getting late and I'm tired!

When I went to climb into bed later that evening, there on my pillow was this. 

 
My heart broke and tears sprang to my eyes. She had only been trying to tell me she loved me. She was trying to show me she loved me, and I yelled at her. What is wrong with me that I am so blind or caught up in myself and what I want to be doing- or not doing, that I could overlook something so huge? I should have taken her into my arms right then and there and told her how much I loved her too. How much I treasure her. And then, in a nice tone reminded her to get her jammies on. :-)

I am aware that I do this a lot, I fail so many times, but last night really struck home. Help me Jesus, help me to be aware and take advantage of these moments I'm given. Not to let my own selfishness and frustrations get in the way. I only get one chance with these children that I love. If I don't make the most of it, how foolish and wasteful is that? Help me to notice and make the most of the little things, the moments that are flying by all to fast.

2 comments:

  1. AMEN Amie! glad to know I'm not the only one who loses it at times! The good thing about kids is they are quick to forgive and forget! We should all be more like these kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE her! Such a sweetie! I see a future scrapbooker in her beautiful artwork:-)

    ReplyDelete